I have seen this change from two perspectives as a shopper and as a retailer.
While we are only a month or two into the prime winter season, I've dealt with customers at the Ridgefield Ski Shop in need of essential pieces like fleeces or specialty items like dressy tops. In the store we have already sold out of most of the items that are doing well and are left with only a few sizes. In previous years I would simply call the company and order an extra top or a new size run for stock. However, this is usually much later in the season. Each time I've called the vendor to get these items, they have been sold out completely, or only have random sizes and colors left. None that would suit my customer. The customers are then left to search for a second best item and hope it is in their size.
As a shopper the situation has come about that I've been searching for specific items like a poncho or hot pink blouse, while I was exploring all of my options I decided on the one I really loved, the poncho I happened to like was by INC, however when I went back to the store to buy it, GONE...SOLD. The associate told me the store only got a few and she wasn't sure who else had it. Fortunately it was available on line, so I acted fast because who knew for how long. 
The fashion industry is trying to make a change and have more full price selling. As a shopper there is not much time left to think about if you really want the piece because chances are that might be the only one that the store has and it might not be there when you come to terms with how much you love it. There is less opportunity left for the shoppers to make a decision, the pressure to buy increases because of the decrease in product. If you don't buy it now it wont be there when markdowns begin.
Bargain shopper now takes a huge risk waiting to see if their item makes it to the sale rack, my advice, if you love it look for a coupon and buy it. It may not be as cheap as you would like, but if you love the item you'll wear it enough to spend a little extra.
Don't give up on those sales racks ladies, the chance of finding a treasure is always there, just don't depend on it to purchase your items.
No comments:
Post a Comment