Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Keep it Classy with Trends


I have always said that fashion is a very expensive passion to have because with all of the constant changing in styles from season to season there is always pressure to buy. Each season new trends emerge as must haves, and we all run out to purchase these items and incorporate them into our individual style.

This season some of the must have styles are ponchos, booties, wedge shoes, and gem tones. With the constant changing in fashion some of these trends only last for one season or barely take off.   As Hedi Klum says in project runway, “One day your in, one day your out.”

However, that’s not true with all things..

Fur accents and lace are a few more trends that are popular among designers this season. However, I think that these are classic trends, meaning that they are something that is always in style but peaks in popularity. Fur and lace items are always being designed, but simply depend on the season if they are extremely popular among buyers. This happens to be one of those seasons where they are flying off the selves and appear in all styles and colors. However when lace are fur and not must haves, you are not looked down upon for wearing them out of trend.

For example I have worn fur boots by Tecnica since I was in high school because I like them better than UGGs and most of my coats have had fur-trimmed collars. Some people may have thought it was over the top or wanted that style for themselves, but as you can see in the past eight years fur has never been definitively out. Same with lace shirts paired under a blazer or  lace dress are very classic. I believe the same rules apply for leather and animal print.

I am a classic dresser and try to get versatility out of my clothes; I see endless opportunity with lace, fur, leather and animal print no matter the time. Other trends are worn countless time in one season and then they sit in your closet waiting to be worn again. Buyers need to remember fashion works in cycles as trends evolve and reemerge.


This isn’t to say that trends aren't fun to add to ones wardrobe, they just aren’t forever pieces, but there are forever trends.

No comments:

Post a Comment